Monday, July 22, 2013

Fishing Trip, Pt. II

As soon as the thunder boomer passed, I launched the boat & headed out to throw the line.

The wind was still blowing hard, so I avoided any of the larger bays & lakes, staying in the smaller canals. I decided to try a spot at a washed-out weir structure. The tide was very high, so the whole structure was underwater. I tied the boat to a 2x4 someone had planted against the submerged weir and put a couple of shrimp on my shad rig.

I caught a small black drum (+/- 12 inches...too small) on the very first cast. I missed a couple of strikes, then finally hooked what had been taking my bait...a hard head catfish. As I was lifting it into the boat, the words "...a gon-gonk!" popped into my head. It was a term that one of my relatives made up to label hardheads back when I was a kid. I hadn't thought of that in years!

As I laid the catfish on the floor of the boat so I could get a glove on to remove it from the hook, it started making it's signature noise: "gon-gonk, gon-gonk", hence the term remembered above.

After I removed it from the hook, I noticed the next wave of thunderstorms approaching fast, so I packed up and hauled ass back to the launch to head for home.

No comments:

Post a Comment